<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
LED headlight bulb replacement?
Moderators: blackSP, space, greatx
Author Post
space
Fri Nov 30 2018, 04:25am
a/k/a Jake

Registered Member #15

Anyone replace the H4 bulb in the stock headlight with an LED version?
I was thinking of getting this one:
I'm not sure there will be enough ventilation in the headlight housing, though.  It might also throw canbus errors due to the lower current draw.
rokrie
Fri Nov 30 2018, 01:17pm
Registered Member #687

It works yet you have to lose the rubber sealing boot, so don't go swimming with it.
space
Fri Nov 30 2018, 04:05pm
a/k/a Jake

Registered Member #15

Thanks. Though if I'm underwater up to my headlight, I have larger problems!

Do you have that Cyclops light or some other one?
rokrie
Fri Nov 30 2018, 06:25pm
Registered Member #687

Cyclops yes.
Farcall
Sun Dec 02 2018, 10:37pm
Registered Member #648

Yes, I replaced my H4 with an earlier version (1st generation?) of the Cyclops LED. I had no canbus issues.

I was able to retain the boot but it took some effort to get the bulb inside the boot and keep the 'cooling fan' outside the boot.

The final result was underwhelming, I have since removed the LED. I notice Cyclops are up to their '10 generation' bulb so my experiences from 4 years ago below may not be relevant any more.

Whilst the light was brighter it wasn't better. It lacked distance penetration. Oncoming motorists often flashed their high beam thinking I had not dipped from high beam. Road signage was lit up to the point of being a minor annoyance. The difference between low and high beam was negligible.

I had the same outcome with replacing halogen bulbs in my 2001 Africa Twin so I came to the same conclusion others had - that lenses designed for halogen struggle to suit the light properties of LED.

[ Edited Sun Dec 02 2018, 10:38pm ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF