Forums
HP2 Enduro.com :: Forums :: Forums :: Show your stuff!

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
I got WHACKED on my HP2 - damage and pictures - ouch -
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: blackSP, space, greatx
Author Post
SnoDawg
Sun May 06 2018, 03:14pm
Registered Member #659

WARNING: Pictures may be disturbing!

Out for a ride in search of dirt and gravel yesterday and I got the feeling that no one on the road was paying attention. I was riding down the highway and people were darting back and forth and/or looking at phones. I decided to go home and took a backroad through a local hipster town called Manayunk. It was packed with people and I was rolling pretty slowly up to a crosswalk where people were crossing. All of a sudden....

WHACK - I get rear ended!

Feet off the pegs - hands punch forward - head snaps back. I almost save the beast from falling but I hesitated to hit the throttle because I was pointed towards oncoming traffic so down it goes. The guy starts to go around me - I am not sure, but I think he was going to take off. A bunch of people eating at outdoor restaurants see the whole thing and come running over and block the guy - one guy on a motorcycle helps me right the HP2 and push it to the side of the road. I get the guy to give me his license and insurance, and I quickly take a pictures of both - hands shaking. He would not give me his registration???

I call the cops for a police report - he says he is late for work and gets in his car after taking all of my information. I video him saying he is late and taking off just as the police pull up.

Damage:
bent rear subframe
crunched license plate holder
exhaust tweaked and bent up
broken blinker button - punched with my thumbs
exhaust tab on frame bent

After I gave all of the info to the police I slowly rode home. I was sore last night, but seem totally fine this morning. I just bought a Moveo neck brace and it truly saved me and my neck. My head snapped back pretty quickly and I felt the back of the helmet hit the neck brace.

[ Edited Sun May 06 2018, 03:19pm ]
r083rt
Sun May 06 2018, 05:11pm
Registered Member #857

Noooo!

Not a post anyone wants to read about but glad you're ok. Sounds like that neck brace saved you. There's no telling what could've happened had you not had it.

What do you make of the damage? Are any of the parts salvageable? I wonder what insurance will do in this case.

Any chance you'll be posting video of the encounter?
SnoDawg
Sun May 06 2018, 08:18pm
Registered Member #659

I am glad I was wearing it -really glad!

I know the rear sub-frame is bent an it is a steel one from Archimedes in Italy so I wonder what the rear of the main frame look looks like. The exhaust hanger attachment on the frame is really bent and so is the exhaust. which is dented. I broke off one of the blinker switches when I punched it with my thumb and I could not find it on the street. Other than that it had some scratches on the TT head guard.

I had turned my GOPRO off when I realized that I was only going to do some street riding. It is really boring for me to watch street riding - so no video.

I hope the bike is salvageable. I will be contacting the local BMW dealer to drop it off for an estimate. The rear subframes are a bit expensive and so will a new exhaust.

Thanks,
Jeff
rokrie
Mon May 07 2018, 02:01am
Registered Member #687

Dude, so sorry! Glad you're OK and stay that way! Don't let the insurance guys low ball you. Fix it completely or get/find you a replacement. I had to go out and prove the worth of mine before they "got it" and paid full boat for a suitable used replacement. But mine was totaled. I bought the hulk back and sold it to the guy I found that had one for what I paid for it. He fixed it and it's still on the trail the last I heard.... Truly hope you're OK.
SnoDawg
Mon May 07 2018, 12:24pm
Registered Member #659

Thanks Rokrie -
Yes, I get to start t deal with he insurance company today. It just set in yesterday that the bike was ready to go at the start of a new riding season and now I have to do a bunch of work on it. I was thinking about selling one of my HP2s to buy an R Nine T Urban and now I am glad I didn't move on the impulse.

I will try to keep this thread updates as to my progress. My insurance and the guy who hit have the same insurance - State Farm so maybe that will make it cleaner. We shall see.

Ride safely and wear your riding gear!

Take care,
Jeff - Sno Dawg

rokrie wrote ...

Dude, so sorry! Glad you're OK and stay that way! Don't let the insurance guys low ball you. Fix it completely or get/find you a replacement. I had to go out and prove the worth of mine before they "got it" and paid full boat for a suitable used replacement. But mine was totaled. I bought the hulk back and sold it to the guy I found that had one for what I paid for it. He fixed it and it's still on the trail the last I heard.... Truly hope you're OK.
leolou
Mon May 07 2018, 05:16pm
Registered Member #744

Ask Bmw if they have in stock the rear frame.
I was last year in idea to rebuild an hp2 with the front frame
out of work,so I asked to Bmw ,they don’t have at the moment but it was on the tube to make a new series of x front frame in June 2017,so perhaps they have done the same for the back frame,normally your dealer know .
Mar-Q-s
Mon May 07 2018, 08:52pm
Registered Member #614

Wow, man!
I very rarely post here, but I really gotta say: Glad to have you back here alive!!!

I don't know the habits in the US, but here in Germany, we usually have the vehicle checked by an authorized expert (or maybe expert witness, I am not sure about the correct translation). The insurance of the one who is found guilty usually pays that expert.

I could imagine that there are more things damaged than what you posted above.
Thinkin' of
- rear rim, incl. spokes and tire. (Replace the rear tire anyway, tires have some kinda memory. They never forget...)
- the bearings that connect the final drive to the rear links and the links to the subframe.
- the bearing(s) inside the final drive surely got something as well hopefully not the crown wheel itself and its counterpart.
- also I would have taken in consideration to have the gearbox checked for minor cracks and the bearing of the gearbox outlet shaft. (also on the engine side of the gearbox!)

The punch that surely hit the rear wheel was transmitted upwards the whole drivetrain until there was nothing to damage anymore.

It would be a pity, if you hadn't had that checked and would stumble over accident-related problems later, when only you are the guy to pay for...

But, again!
Everythin, that's really important is fine and I am glad about that!

kind regards from Munich!
Markus
space
Tue May 08 2018, 05:09am
a/k/a Jake

Registered Member #15

Damn. Glad you're mostly OK, amigo. Bikes can always be replaced, even HP2s.

Though I like what you've done with the exhaust. That bike can now do about 6" deeper water crossings than it previously could.

Good luck with it! I hope it can be repaired.
SnoDawg
Tue May 08 2018, 08:24pm
Registered Member #659

Hey Markus and Jake -
I got a little lucky and really hope the bike can be fixed and kept. I am sure it is just a matter of price. Markus, thank you for the list of items. I already talked to the local BMW shop and told them that I would bring in a list of things to check and your info is a fantastic start - better safe than sorry. The guy at the shop was very cooperative and said if I brought in the list we could go over it to check those items carefully.

Bike is going in tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Jeff
rokrie
Mon May 14 2018, 12:00pm
Registered Member #687

Hey, did you get your bike estimate done? Will they fix it? Hoping for a solid YES! And how are you doing? Still OK?
Mar-Q-s
Mon May 14 2018, 07:55pm
Registered Member #614

SnoDawg wrote ...

Markus, thank you for the list of items.
Thanks again,
Jeff

You are welcome!
Also deeply hoping your "Gummikuh" is recovering soon!

Markus
sad_story
Tue May 15 2018, 03:14pm
Registered Member #494

Dude ... glad you are ok....
SnoDawg
Wed May 16 2018, 12:46am
Registered Member #659

sad_story wrote ...

Dude ... glad you are ok....

Thanks Sad Story - that is what I said to my wife. There might not be a lot of HP2s out there, but I can always find one or repair it.

Jeff
SnoDawg
Wed May 16 2018, 12:51am
Registered Member #659

rokrie wrote ...

Hey, did you get your bike estimate done? Will they fix it? Hoping for a solid YES! And how are you doing? Still OK?

Hey Rokrie,
The bike was just picked up today. I went to ride it down to the BMW dealer last week and it was dead. I put the battery on my charging battery tender and it would not take a charge and I could not get the engine to turn over. That is really peculiar because the bike always ran great and started no matter how hard it had been ridden. It is out of my hand now.

I did take a peek under the rear plastics and the rear black frame is bent up pretty badly.

I will post on here when I hear back from the dealer.

Thanks,
Jeff
geneseemtn
Tue May 22 2018, 01:00am
Registered Member #829

Glad you're as well off as you are. Hopefully no other injuries or pains show up! Too bad for such a great bike. I imagine it'll be totaled and you'll have the option to buy it back as a parts bike.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF