HP2 Enduro.com :: Forums :: Forums :: Technical

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
HP2 / R1200GS Rear Brake Caliper Compatability
Moderators: blackSP, space, greatx
Author Post
LtcOliverNorth
Thu Nov 02 2017, 08:07pm
Registered Member #964

I'm sure this topic has been discussed somewhere before; posting it here because I wasn't able to find the answer when I was searching.

My HP2 had a seized up rear brake which wasn't sliding on the "floating" rod or whatever it is called. I thought it would be a matter of simple disassembly and boot-rehab kit but it turned out to be a little more than just stuck; basically the rod was rusted solid and would not come out with the normal coaxing.

I was pretty sure the R1200GS rear brake caliper would be a bolt-on replacement, and that the part number difference was due to the gold color of the HP2 caliper, but I couldn't find definitive proof online. Through casting numbers I was determined that the parts were the same aside form color, so I bought a used rear caliper and mount off Ebay for $80.

Once I had the functioning donor caliper, I was willing to go medieval on the original HP2 caliper because I wanted the gold bling. Used a cutting wheel to slice a relief cut in the caliper mounting bracket along the length of the floating rod, cut the rod-channel-protrusion-nub off the bracket, and then drove the rusted pin out with a hammer and punch. Took the mounting bracket from the ebay caliper, along with the floating rod (which unscrews with a 4mm Allen) and boot (which was still in good shape), and moved them over to the HP2 gold caliper along with some Honda molly lube. Everything was straightforward from there.

Unfortunately the mounting bracket is not available from BMW anymore it seems, and the floating pin is not available as a separate part either. If your HP2 rear caliper is completely seized or has kicked the bucket, then you can take an R1200GS caliper and bracket from the comparable year-range and it will bolt right up.

Hope this helps someone out along the way.
SnoDawg
Fri Nov 03 2017, 12:16am
Registered Member #659

We need pics to confirm this - ha ha
My front brake on my HP2 dirt is seized up. I imagine it is from the poor condition that my bike was kept in while it was in Korea being used as a dirt bike. During the recent rallye I did, the brake seemed to open up and provide more stopping power - this is another of my winter projects - front brake rebuild.

Sno Dawg

[ Edited Fri Nov 03 2017, 12:49pm ]
marret
Fri Nov 03 2017, 12:16pm
Registered Member #875

Thanks for posting.
space
Fri Nov 03 2017, 10:41pm
a/k/a Jake

Registered Member #15

Good post.

I always put some anti-seize on that pin whenever I service the breaks. Honda moly works too, as you said.

Otherwise yeah, it tends to get stuck and require medieval levels of force.
LtcOliverNorth
Sat Nov 04 2017, 05:28am
Registered Member #964

SnoDawg wrote ...

We need pics to confirm this - ha ha
My front brake on my HP2 dirt is seized up. I imagine it is from the poor condition that my bike was kept in while it was in Korea being used as a dirt bike. During the recent rallye I did, the brake seemed to open up and provide more stopping power - this is another of my winter projects - front brake rebuild.

Sno Dawg

I was looking at my G650X Challenge front brake caliper and the HP2... the casting has different branding (BMW vs. Brembo) but from what I can tell they appear to be interchangeable. Maybe you can be the first to test this out?
SnoDawg
Sun Nov 05 2017, 03:28am
Registered Member #659

good idea - but I am really thinking of selling my XChallenge

I just do not ride it anymore now that I have a 2 HP2s
No more light off road rallies HP2E Gravel
No more hard off road rallies HP2E DIRT
NO more commuting around town - TW200

I just put new tires on it and cleaned it up.

Maybe before I sell it, I will try a quick brake caliper switch this winter.

Jeff

[ Edited Sun Nov 05 2017, 12:29pm ]
Mago
Sun Jan 07 2018, 05:24pm
Registered Member #248

Are the HP2 front/rear brake pads replaceable with same year R1200GSA pads?

I have a set of padss bought for my old Gs I would love to use.. Too lazy to dig em up to check compatibility

[ Edited Sun Jan 07 2018, 05:31pm ]
LtcOliverNorth
Wed Jan 10 2018, 08:49am
Registered Member #964

Rear pads are the same. Front pads are not as the front caliper is completely different from the R1200GS front caliper.
Mago
Thu Jan 11 2018, 03:42am
Registered Member #248

Thanks!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF