HP2 Enduro.com :: Forums :: Forums :: Technical

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Swingarm Gaiter Replacement
Moderators: blackSP, space, greatx
Author Post
r083rt
Thu Aug 31 2017, 08:19AM
Registered Member #857

Noticed just yesterday that the swingarm gaiter between the gearbox and swingarm has separated itself on the swingarm side.

It appears it has just come loose but I anticipate replacing it anyway.

There are a number of writeups online including one on this forum that never got resolved:

http://www.hp2enduro.com/hp2e_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1761.post

Most of the other writeups seem to indicate it's not too involved of a job but I wanted to see if anyone has undertaken this task?

Additionally, I'm not sure how long the boot has been like this. What else should I check while I'm in there? Is there a chance the final drive oil is contaminated? I'm guessing there is a shaft seal before the final drive.

See pics below for the separation and a gratuitous shot from yesterday's ride

[ Edited Thu Aug 31 2017, 08:21AM ]
zool
Sat Sep 02 2017, 03:03AM
Registered Member #542

While replacing gaiter check and lube splines on both ends of drive shaft. Also grease gaiters when installing. It will provide additional water protection. There is no chance that oil is contaminated but there might be some rust on shaft. You can find lot info on advrider for r1200gs. I did same task on r1200gs adv but gaiter is different, all other steps are identical.
Cheers
Spout
Wed Sep 20 2017, 06:21AM
Registered Member #371

The HP2 swing arm has a drain hole (unlike the standard GS). If this isn't blocked there should be no water damage.
You'll find out when you strip everything down to change the gaiter.
There is less room on the HP than GS to fiddle with this gaitor. I found it easier to take swing arm off than just pull the shaft (good chance to grease bearings).
Good luck.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF