Forums
HP2 Enduro.com :: Forums :: Forums :: Show your stuff!

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
HP2 Dirt
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: blackSP, space, greatx
Author Post
SnoDawg
Tue Apr 04 2017, 08:32AM
Registered Member #659

This is pretty much what it looked like when I picked it up.

pretty dirty - the GPR can was in really bad condition.

[ Edited Tue Apr 04 2017, 09:11AM ]
marret
Tue Apr 04 2017, 07:12PM
Registered Member #875

SnoDawg wrote ...

Hey Marret,
The panels were in rough shape because of the multiple layers of spray paint and spilled gas stripes from the previous owner. I wet sanded them several times and it took a lot of work. I then put on 3 coats of rattle can paint with wet sanding between each coat. They are far from perfect, but the paint and sanding blocks cost around $25 and I don't care if I scratch them. I actually have a brand new set of panels and a brand new seat that I was going to put on the bike, but I am going to save them and use the older beat up stuff. Given the rarity of body panels and seats for these bikes, it is always good to have an extra set of new.

I thought you painted them, but was wondering if you were able to sand them to an acceptable finish. Looks very good in the photos. Totally with you on using the ones on the bike and not "worrying" about it while saving the new for if/when needed or wanted.

I have an extra new seat and had my old seat redone by Renazco. I'm tempted to try to buy some new panels as extras too.

Anyway, you've done a great job with the bike and thanks for posting and answering.
SnoDawg
Mon Apr 10 2017, 10:39AM
Registered Member #659

marret wrote ...

SnoDawg wrote ...

Hey Marret,
The panels were in rough shape because of the multiple layers of spray paint and spilled gas stripes from the previous owner. I wet sanded them several times and it took a lot of work. I then put on 3 coats of rattle can paint with wet sanding between each coat. They are far from perfect, but the paint and sanding blocks cost around $25 and I don't care if I scratch them. I actually have a brand new set of panels and a brand new seat that I was going to put on the bike, but I am going to save them and use the older beat up stuff. Given the rarity of body panels and seats for these bikes, it is always good to have an extra set of new.

I thought you painted them, but was wondering if you were able to sand them to an acceptable finish. Looks very good in the photos. Totally with you on using the ones on the bike and not "worrying" about it while saving the new for if/when needed or wanted.

I have an extra new seat and had my old seat redone by Renazco. I'm tempted to try to buy some new panels as extras too.

Anyway, you've done a great job with the bike and thanks for posting and answering.

I totally agree with your way of thinking. I hate the idea of "stockpiling parts," but with the rarity of these bikes and parts, and considering that we use them as intended with hard off road riding, I don't feel that guilty having some extra body panels in the shed.

Sno Dawg
SnoDawg
Mon Jul 03 2017, 06:35PM
Registered Member #659

HP2 Dirt is slowly coming together. Cosmetically it is where I want it - nice but not too nice to ride in the dirt, drop, jump and play in the mud with. It feels so much lighter than my other HP2 with nothing extra on the bike. Most of the wiring/rewiring is done and everything is working. Fluids and brakes are getting done. I still have only ridden it about 4 or 5 times for about 5 miles each time and it is a blast to ride!

More pics and updates later.

Sno Dawg

2006 BMW HP2 Enduro - Gravel road
2006 BMW HP2 Enduro - Dirt
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF