r083rt
r083rt
Registered Member #857 Joined: Fri Oct 02 2015, 09:47am

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, by the way. by r083rt
marret
Tue Apr 04 2017, 11:07am
marret
Registered Member #875 Joined: Wed Dec 16 2015, 05:39pm

Nice FJ40s. I had one back in the 70s as well.

HP2E is looking great. How did you get the gray panels looking so good? Did you just sand? Paint?

by marret
SnoDawg
Tue Apr 04 2017, 02:00pm
SnoDawg
Registered Member #659 Joined: Sun Apr 28 2013, 12:27pm

r083rt wrote ...

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, by the way.

Totally not a hijack - two of my favorite things are HP2s and FJ40s.
No need to apologize, just include pictures of both!!

Teeth to the wind,
Jeff
by SnoDawg
SnoDawg
Tue Apr 04 2017, 03:16pm
SnoDawg

marret wrote ...

Nice FJ40s. I had one back in the 70s as well.

HP2E is looking great. How did you get the gray panels looking so good? Did you just sand? Paint?

Hey Marret,
The panels were in rough shape because of the multiple layers of spray paint and spilled gas stripes from the previous owner. I wet sanded them several times and it took a lot of work. I then put on 3 coats of rattle can paint with wet sanding between each coat. They are far from perfect, but the paint and sanding blocks cost around $25 and I don't care if I scratch them. I actually have a brand new set of panels and a brand new seat that I was going to put on the bike, but I am going to save them and use the older beat up stuff. Given the rarity of body panels and seats for these bikes, it is always good to have an extra set of new.

X3

X2
Edited Tue Apr 04 2017, 03:29pm by SnoDawg
SnoDawg
Tue Apr 04 2017, 03:32pm
SnoDawg

This is pretty much what it looked like when I picked it up.

1491319932 659 FT4065 Pic 0005

pretty dirty - the GPR can was in really bad condition.

. Edited Tue Apr 04 2017, 04:11pm by SnoDawg
marret
Wed Apr 05 2017, 02:12am
marret
Registered Member #875 Joined: Wed Dec 16 2015, 05:39pm

SnoDawg wrote ...

Hey Marret,
The panels were in rough shape because of the multiple layers of spray paint and spilled gas stripes from the previous owner. I wet sanded them several times and it took a lot of work. I then put on 3 coats of rattle can paint with wet sanding between each coat. They are far from perfect, but the paint and sanding blocks cost around $25 and I don't care if I scratch them. I actually have a brand new set of panels and a brand new seat that I was going to put on the bike, but I am going to save them and use the older beat up stuff. Given the rarity of body panels and seats for these bikes, it is always good to have an extra set of new.

I thought you painted them, but was wondering if you were able to sand them to an acceptable finish. Looks very good in the photos. Totally with you on using the ones on the bike and not "worrying" about it while saving the new for if/when needed or wanted.

I have an extra new seat and had my old seat redone by Renazco. I'm tempted to try to buy some new panels as extras too.

Anyway, you've done a great job with the bike and thanks for posting and answering.
by marret
SnoDawg
Mon Apr 10 2017, 05:39pm
SnoDawg

marret wrote ...

SnoDawg wrote ...

Hey Marret,

I thought you painted them, but was wondering if you were able to sand them to an acceptable finish. Looks very good in the photos. Totally with you on using the ones on the bike and not "worrying" about it while saving the new for if/when needed or wanted.

I have an extra new seat and had my old seat redone by Renazco. I'm tempted to try to buy some new panels as extras too.

Anyway, you've done a great job with the bike and thanks for posting and answering.

I totally agree with your way of thinking. I hate the idea of "stockpiling parts," but with the rarity of these bikes and parts, and considering that we use them as intended with hard off road riding, I don't feel that guilty having some extra body panels in the shed.

Sno Dawg by SnoDawg
SnoDawg
Tue Jul 04 2017, 01:35am
SnoDawg

HP2 Dirt is slowly coming together. Cosmetically it is where I want it - nice but not too nice to ride in the dirt, drop, jump and play in the mud with. It feels so much lighter than my other HP2 with nothing extra on the bike. Most of the wiring/rewiring is done and everything is working. Fluids and brakes are getting done. I still have only ridden it about 4 or 5 times for about 5 miles each time and it is a blast to ride!

More pics and updates later.

Sno Dawg

2006 BMW HP2 Enduro - Gravel road
2006 BMW HP2 Enduro - Dirt by SnoDawg
SnoDawg
Mon Oct 30 2017, 11:01pm
SnoDawg

Update -
After a long summer of guiding canoe trips in Canada this summer, I finally got time to fish the wiring, redo the brakes, make a front fairing and clean the entire bike. I have since done three rallies on it and it has been a blast.

freshly finished with new tires, paint, wiring etc
XL

a day in the woods alone to work out some kinks
XL

the HP2 Dirt -
XL

Touratech Rallye East
XL

New Sweden BMW Rally
XL

PB500 this past weekend
XL

My other HP2E that is now only used from gravel roads - HP2 Gravel
I was in the process of putting new knobbies on this
XL Edited Mon Oct 30 2017, 11:09pm by SnoDawg
leolou
Tue Oct 31 2017, 09:43am
leolou
Registered Member #744 Joined: Tue Apr 15 2014, 09:10pm

Hello from who is the front white fairing you have ?
Thank you by leolou
 1 2 3 4 
Create a new topic

Go to: