1 2 3 4 
Create a new topic
Moderator(s): blackSP, greatx, space
Author Post
rotaryracer
Tue Jan 19 2016, 04:04pm
rotaryracer
Registered Member #803 Joined: Fri Dec 12 2014, 10:06pm

Well....after far too long...the prototype screen is done!

I did go ahead and predrill the mounting holes for this one just to see how difficult it was. The drilling itself was simple; however, as I don't have a set of the Wunderlich brackets, it was a bit tricky to try and transfer over the holes from the original plastic screen. If you have the original screen bracket, it will be a piece of cake, as you can see where the holes were from mold indentations in the carbon. The automotive clearcoat came out great and the painter did a nice job addressing the issues from the prior guy, but again - took longer than hoped.

Net-net, this has become far more of a labor of love than I had hoped for. I'm ready to do a run of five screens if I can get the committed orders, but need to do this as a batch - i.e. get five from composites guy, deliver five to the painter for clear coating, etc. I will not be able to pre-drill the mounting holes as I've had to return the Wunderlich screen and bracket to it's owner, but a cheapo step drill will make quick work of it, and the rubber grommets from your original screen finish off the hole perfectly.

I'll put order links up shortly, but there will be two options - with or without clearcoat. The epoxy used in the molding process is UV resistant so it should hold up well, and it does look great as-is from the mold...just more of a "dry carbon" than the uber-gloss you'll get with having it clearcoated. The pictures earlier in this thread showing the part untrimmed and trimmed out are prior to the clearcoat being applied. Ideally, I'd like to bring a batch of them to the painter to get a little more attention....not that I can't just bring one over, but it will end up being an add-on to another job for him, and as such, the timeline could be more fluid.

The cost for the part as molded is $239.99, or $299.99 with the automotive clear coat. Drilling, rubber grommets, and other hardware is not included. My composites guy is estimating about 30-45 days from the green light to mold up five screens, and if I can beat the painter's busy season coming in the next 90 days, I should be able to get them clearcoated pretty quickly.

Please email me at info AT advmotorrad DOT com or post here if you have any questions. Once I have the links done for both with clearcoat and without, I'll add them to this thread.

Thanks again for your patience!

Jason

by rotaryracer
leolou
Tue Jan 19 2016, 07:54pm
leolou
Registered Member #744 Joined: Tue Apr 15 2014, 09:10pm

Hi Jason,very nice job a little beat long but very nice!
I will be interested by the non glossy,but I need the all hardware for my
HP2,can you do something for that?not to expensive?
Thank you. by leolou
rotaryracer
Wed Jan 20 2016, 02:12pm
rotaryracer

Thanks leolou! I talked with a few fabrication shops about having a bracket set made, and given the very low volume, it would've been prohibitively expensive. These screens are primarily for riders that already have the Wunderlich Vario kit and have experienced the spider cracking around the mounting holes and/or have broken the plastic screen completely. That said, while the Wunderlich mounting system is very nice, you could probably knock together a much more straightforward set of mounts by hitting up the local Lowe's or Home Depot and getting some flat aluminum stock, hardware, etc.

Thanks!

Jason by rotaryracer
leolou
Wed Jan 20 2016, 03:35pm
leolou
Registered Member #744 Joined: Tue Apr 15 2014, 09:10pm

Thank you I will think about it and trying to find a solution ,it will be a pity
To have a nice screen and a wrong mounting system .
L by leolou
rokrie
Thu Jan 21 2016, 04:17am
rokrie
Registered Member #687 Joined: Thu Aug 15 2013, 11:01pm

E-mail sent. Thanks, Jason! Looking forward to replacing mine before it blows back into my face! smile by rokrie
rotaryracer
Tue Jan 26 2016, 02:33pm
rotaryracer

Thanks guys! I've added the product to our site with the two options - with or without clearcoat. Once I have five confirmed orders, I will submit to the composites shop to get them molded up. It will take roughly 30 days from when we say "go", and I'll post back here and/or update individual orders when it's submitted. All the screens will be sent to our shop in NY and non-clearcoated screens will be repacked and shipped immediately. Any screens ordered with automotive clearcoat will be delivered to the painter, who will be badgered relentlessly until he brings them back completed. smile

Just a reminder - whether you order clearcoat or not, the mounting holes will not be drilled and the grommets/spacers that are inserted into the holes are not included. Using the screen-side Wunderlich bracket and locating it over the molded-in "imperfections" where the drill holes go will make quick work of it. The hardware can be transferred over from your old screen or, if it's completely shot, can be sourced through McMaster-Carr, Fastenal, or similar.

You can find the product link here:

https://www.advmotorrad.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=600

Any questions, please feel free to email me at info AT advmotorrad DOT com or call the shop at (585) 310-ADVM.

Thanks!

Jason

by rotaryracer
rotaryracer
Mon Feb 01 2016, 12:37pm
rotaryracer

HI guys - one confirmed order so far. Once we get five orders, I'll give the go-ahead to the composites shop. Feel free to contact me with any questions or to reserve one from the first production run.

Thanks!

Jason Edited Thu Feb 04 2016, 04:55pm by rotaryracer
SnoDawg
Sat Mar 02 2019, 02:50pm
SnoDawg
Registered Member #659 Joined: Sun Apr 28 2013, 12:27pm

I know this thread is 3 years old but.....

Did anyone buy one of these Carbon Fiber windscreens?

How have they held up?

Sno Dawg by SnoDawg
oldfool
Sat Mar 02 2019, 06:58pm
oldfool
Registered Member #59 Joined: Sat Jan 24 2009, 06:09am

I bought one and it's great. Definitely more durable then the original Wunderlich screen. I did see an operation that bought the molds and was making them but I haven't been able to track them down. Edited Sat Mar 02 2019, 07:05pm by oldfool
SnoDawg
Sat Mar 02 2019, 11:11pm
SnoDawg
Registered Member #659 Joined: Sun Apr 28 2013, 12:27pm

I got a line on a used one and I think I am going to pick it up. I do not have the Wunderlich brackets, but I think I can fab them up.

Sno Dawg by SnoDawg
 1 2 3 4 
Create a new topic

Go to: