Sun May 03 2015, 12:49pm
oldfool
Registered Member #59 Joined: Sat Jan 24 2009, 06:09am

Windscreen. I would be interested in one. Richard. by oldfool
rotaryracer
Sun May 03 2015, 06:05pm
rotaryracer
Registered Member #803 Joined: Fri Dec 12 2014, 10:06pm

Thanks guys! The first production test piece is done and I'm hoping to be able to do validation within the next 1-2 weeks, just need to confirm availability of the bike. Once I can verify we're good to go, I would expect we can do the first production run later this month.

Here are a few pictures of the test piece fresh out of the mold....flashing still needs to be trimmed, but overall I think it looks great!

by rotaryracer
Lariviere
Tue May 05 2015, 05:39pm
Guy
Lariviere
Registered Member #564 Joined: Wed Jun 20 2012, 11:29pm

Very nice!! by Lariviere
rotaryracer
Wed May 06 2015, 12:06pm
rotaryracer

Lariviere wrote ...

Very nice!!

Thank you!

Here are a few pictures with the flashing trimmed off...I should have the part later this week and will try to do the test fit ASAP.

by rotaryracer
rokrie
Fri Aug 07 2015, 04:33am
rokrie
Registered Member #687 Joined: Thu Aug 15 2013, 11:01pm

Jason, just bought a bike with this screen and it's cracked. Count me in for one, please. Let us know when they're ready....Bob by rokrie
lachmac
Fri Aug 07 2015, 07:08am
UNFKNBLVBL
lachmac
Registered Member #815 Joined: Fri Mar 13 2015, 02:04pm

Hi Jason, as discussed you can put me down for one.
Cheers
Lachlan by lachmac
rotaryracer
Sun Aug 16 2015, 10:21am
rotaryracer

Hi guys - sorry for the extended delay. Things were moving along well, until I made the fateful decision to have the prototype clearcoated prior to sending for the test fit. I wanted to see the end result and make sure it would meet our expectations. The painter we've used previously was too busy to fit it in, but recommended another shop that takes on smaller projects. I dropped it off with the understanding he would clear it when he got the next car to be cleared in the paint booth.

I never even saw the first finish, but apparently it was orange peel hell. The guys did a quick wipe-down with a dewaxer, which is not strong enough to remove the mold release chemicals. They sanded off the clear in anticipation of reshooting the piece, and said it should be done at the end of the week.

Or the next week....or the following week...or the following month. frown

I finally got a chance to get over there and they had made no forward progress, so I picked the prototype up and am going to see if I can get this finished once and for all. I'm also going to take a shot at making up a drilling template using the original Wunderlich piece against the new carbon screen. Since you can see slight distortion in the carbon where the original holes were, it should be pretty easy to do.

Net-net, I've learned a lot and have a much greater appreciation for the manufacturing partners we support. This project WILL get done, it's just unfortunate when suppliers don't share that same commitment. I'm going to contact the painter we've worked with previously to see if we can get the test piece cleared, get the drilling template down, finalize the test fit, and then be ready to have our composites fabricator start making these. He had previously quoted me about 30 days from "green light" to get five of these done...given my luck, I would double that and we can all be pleasantly surprised if it arrives sooner. smile

I appreciate everyone's patience, and will definitely post back up here as soon as I can get some forward motion on this.

Thanks again...

Jason by rotaryracer
rokrie
Sun Aug 16 2015, 11:31pm
rokrie
Registered Member #687 Joined: Thu Aug 15 2013, 11:01pm

No rush for me, Jason. Screen is spider cracked but not broken yet. Thanks!...Bob by rokrie
rotaryracer
Wed Oct 07 2015, 05:56pm
rotaryracer

Hi all - after a hilariously long delay, things are moving forward again. I've found a painter that is familiar with working with fiberglass and carbon fiber and knows how to prep the surface to prevent fisheyes and orange peel. With luck, I'll have the clear coated screen back next week and can send it out for a test fit. If all goes well, I'll give the green light to start molding more screens.

Will keep you all posted, and hopefully should have good news soon!

Jason by rotaryracer
SnoDawg
Mon Oct 12 2015, 03:10am
SnoDawg
Registered Member #659 Joined: Sun Apr 28 2013, 12:27pm

Yours looks nice - I met a guy that I rode with in NJ at a rallye, and he fabricated two of these out of plastic for me for free - I reinforced the back with some stainless steel metal. It is holding up nicely - rallye stickers and all.

I am looking forward to see your final product....

Thanks for your hard work and updates

Jeff by SnoDawg
 1 2 3 4 
Create a new topic

Go to: