1 2 3 4 
Create a new topic
Moderator(s): blackSP, greatx, space
Author Post
rokrie
Sun Jan 18 2015, 06:00pm Print
rokrie
Registered Member #687 Joined: Thu Aug 15 2013, 11:01pm

What's a reasonable price for a carbon/kevlar windscreen kit for your HP2e?

I would not purchase if the price is over $350.

I would purchase if the price is between $350-380.

I would purchase if the price is between $380-400.

I would purchase if the price is up to $425.

Posted by rotaryracer
Votes: 30

If/when I kill the Marathon and am looking for a replacement, I'd consider $350-$380. Thank for the poll, Jason! It's always a pleasure working with you. by rokrie
Farcall
Mon Jan 19 2015, 02:33pm
Farcall
Registered Member #648 Joined: Tue Mar 19 2013, 02:20pm

Hi Jason

I've got 2 Vario screens. Both are cracked and wouldn't survive any more contact. I'm an immediate buyer for a replacement screen. I think replacement screens would move off the shelf at a reasonable rate for this small market.

I hope this poll gets enough interest. Edited Mon Jan 19 2015, 02:33pm by Farcall
rotaryracer
Wed Jan 21 2015, 01:19pm
rotaryracer
Registered Member #803 Joined: Fri Dec 12 2014, 10:06pm

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback! The ABS plastic in the Vario screen tends to fail over time, so I'm also considering just making screens compatible with the Vario mounts. You would need your own hardware, brackets, etc. (or some ingenuity if you wanted to mount it without the now discontinued bracket kit), but the cost would be quite a bit less. Producing something similar to the original Vario bracket kit is fairly production intensive and adds quite a bit of cost to the overall setup. I can't recall how much the original Vario kit sold for, but my guess is that a large percentage of that was in bracket cost versus the plastic screen.

Thanks again for the responses and feedback to date - more is always welcome!

Jason Edited Wed Jan 21 2015, 01:24pm by rotaryracer
rotaryracer
Thu Mar 26 2015, 12:10pm
rotaryracer

Hi guys - sorry I haven't posted an update in awhile. I appreciate all the votes in the poll, and it pretty much solidified my thinking....the full kit price at the expected low volumes was just getting too expensive to be viable. That said, I am moving forward with building replacement carbon kevlar screens for those with the (now discontinued) Wunderlich Vario kit. The bracket setup in the full kit is amazing, but the weak point was using the ABS screen which, over time, develops stress cracks at the mounting holes due to flexing. It also tends to not survive an "off" very well. In working with our composites manufacturer, we're making sure that the replacement will not only be aesthetically pleasing but durable as well. For those without the Wunderlich mounts, I would expect with some DIY ingenuity and aluminum flat stock, you could easily put together a full windscreen kit.

The screen will be made of a carbon kevlar "sandwich" - carbon outer for aesthetics and weight, kevlar reinforcement for strength. The four mounting holes at the front of the screen will not be drilled, although I am looking into an option to have them drilled and replacement rubber grommets included. There will be a small 90 degree "return" over the headlight arc to provide a bit more stiffness and potentially knock down a bit of light scatter from the headlight, but the rest of the screen will be a flat surface, as the design is strong enough to not warrant a full perimeter return. We'll be using a UV-resistant epoxy so that clearcoating will not be required, although you are welcome to do so if you want a deep glossy finish and better UV protection. You'll need to provide the Wunderlich Vario mounts for the HP2e and all mounting hardware, as this will be a replacement screen only.

A few pictures of the molding progress to date...I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks...

Jason

2F001
by rotaryracer
SnoDawg
Fri Mar 27 2015, 12:30am
SnoDawg
Registered Member #659 Joined: Sun Apr 28 2013, 12:27pm

Hey Jason,
Thanks for keeping us updated on your new screen. Have you decided on a final price given the poll that you posted?

Sno Dawg by SnoDawg
Farcall
Mon Mar 30 2015, 09:01am
Farcall
Registered Member #648 Joined: Tue Mar 19 2013, 02:20pm

Watching with interest thanks Jason. by Farcall
rotaryracer
Fri Apr 03 2015, 10:53am
rotaryracer

SnoDawg wrote ...

Hey Jason,
Thanks for keeping us updated on your new screen. Have you decided on a final price given the poll that you posted?

Sno Dawg

Hi Sno Dawg - working on some revised numbers for the screen only without hardware, but quite a bit depends on demand. Based on what I know now, the screen alone will probably be around the $250 range (hopefully less), with a cost option if you want the four mounting holes pre-drilled and new rubber grommets installed. A person that's not afraid of some DIY could probably knock some basic brackets together for $10-15 in materials, so you could be in the $260-270 range bolted on the bike.

The mold should be done by next week (my composites guy has been blitzed with all the race teams needing parts before the season starts) and will be ready to start lay-up. I'm going to do a test version first to confirm quality and fitment, and then will be ready for production! smile

by rotaryracer
rotaryracer
Sat Apr 25 2015, 11:24am
rotaryracer

And....the mold is complete! We should be doing the first production test part this week to confirm fitment and ensure there's a reasonable success rate when pulling parts from the mold. Assuming all goes well, I should be able to finalize numbers, but anticipate we will be able to get under the $250 mark for the screen.

Since I can't edit the poll, I would appreciate replies to this thread as to who would purchase a screen assuming a cost not to exceed $250. There aren't many economies of scale with composites work, but if there is sufficient committed demand, I may be able to bring the price down a bit more. As mentioned previously, this is a carbon/kevlar composite built with UV-resistant epoxy and designed to fit the Wunderlich Vario mounting brackets. You would need to drill the four mounting holes (clearly imprinted in the carbon) and install using hardware from your existing screen (or purchase new hardware).

The screen can absolutely be used for DIY applications, and a basic bracket setup could be put together for small money and a few hours of work. If I can get some pictures of the Holan brackets, you can get an idea of how it could be the mount without the Vario brackets.

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jason

by rotaryracer
Max_Fritz
Mon Apr 27 2015, 03:59pm
Max_Fritz
Registered Member #802 Joined: Tue Dec 09 2014, 07:47pm

might be interested by Max_Fritz
Lariviere
Wed Apr 29 2015, 08:50pm
Guy
Lariviere
Registered Member #564 Joined: Wed Jun 20 2012, 11:29pm

Hi Jason, I'd be interested in a couple.
BTW those Markus tanks and passenger foot pegs have worked out great, thanks! by Lariviere
1 2 3 4 
Create a new topic

Go to: